Sunset for Delicious

December 16th, 2010

Today Yahoo announced that they will soon kill off one of my most favorite digital products: delicious. The internets are all atwitter about this, because it’s one the best tools out there for bookmarking. Fans of the service have been storing their bookmarks with delicious for many years.

As everyone is in a hurry to find a good replacement for their archive of bookmarks, lots of folks are recommending pinboard.in, so I’ve signed up and I’ll be importing six years worth of bookmarks tonight as a backup. I’m happy there’s a place to put years of organized bookmarks, but the one thing about pinboard is that they tout themselves as an anti-social bookmarking platform. For lots of delicious users, this isn’t a big deal, because they are probably only using delicious to store their own bookmarks. I’d say 75% of my delicious usage is for that purpose too, but the other 25% is the discovery of new content from people I don’t already know, who share similar interests, so I’m disappointed this isn’t a feature for pinboard. I can follow people I already know on pinboard, but I’m already getting good content from these same people on Twitter. What I want is to discover content from new people with shared interests (and maybe a similar tagging style).

When we planned our wedding in 2005, I used delicious to bookmark all the wedding ideas I found on the web, but I was able to find new content through the people who saved the same links as me as well. I could see that someone who tagged natural looking rugs, as “aisle runner” also had some great links to venue decor that I had yet to discover on my own. Last winter when we were planning for the arrival of our daughter, I found lots of nursery decor or registry ideas from people who saved similar content on delicious.

I’m sad to see my social bookmarking tool will be put to rest after years of little to no support since it was first purchased by Yahoo, but I’m confident that lots of new services will emerge in the coming year and hopefully fill the gap in the social bookmarking world.


Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind